Hood filters are key components in the kitchen ventilation system, requiring service that can fall under either the responsibility of the hood/duct cleaner, the kitchen staff, or a filter exchange company.
As a service company we have found that over the past decade, properly cleaning hood filters has become more and more important. This is due to the grease extraction efficiency increasing across the styles of filters many manufacturers are using in their current hood system designs. Higher grease extraction efficiency comes at a price. In regards to service, this price is that they are a lot harder to clean. When hood filters are not cleaned properly, excess grease accumulates between the baffles and three things happen:
1) Exhaust airflow at the hood decreases resulting in lower system performance in regards to smoke and heat capture.
2) The filters become noisy, making it difficult to communicate on the cookline.
3) The greasy filters become a fire hazard, by suspending pounds of fuel directly above the cooking surfaces. (There is a reason why insurance companies offer discounts to restaurants that have their hood filters professionally cleaned on a regular basis. The potential for grease-duct fires is greatly reduced when the fuel source is removed from the hood filters.)
Kitchen Air Inc’s System:
- Assess the current condition of your hood filters. Most importantly: Are the filters being brought back to completely bare metal inside the baffles? It is the less apparent grease on the inside of the filter that causes the most problems. Are your filters getting damaged by the current cleaning process?
- Compare the price of having the filters cleaned onsite with your own staff, verses offsite by a professional company. Keep in mind all costs when making the analysis. This includes labor, utilities, insurance discounts, cleaning products, etc. Most restaurants can get by with only having their filters professionally cleaned once a month. Pricing ranges between 6 and 8 dollars per filter depending on where you are in the country.
- If it is most cost effective to clean the hood filters inhouse and the staff is able to get them back to bare metal without damaging them each time, continue to clean them inhouse. If this is not the case or if you simply do not wish to have to deal with cleaning the filters onsite, hire a professional company to perform the service.
Kitchen Air Inc Difference:
- We offer the most competitive pricing on both hood filter exchange and hood filters themselves.
- We protect your hood filters. We have invested in specialized containers to adequately prevent damage, contain grease, and efficiently transport/store your hood filters.
- Our proprietary method of cleaning filters is the most efficient and proficient in the industry.
- We replace your hood filters with the same exact style filter that is in your hood at the beginning of service. Many other companies do not exchange the filters with a set that is of the same efficiency, quality, or even material type. This is unacceptable.
We offer 2 Options for Filter Exchange:
- (Strongly Recommended) Purchase a spare set of filters upfront at an extremely discounted rate that is broken up into 4 monthly installments, no finance charge. This is the most efficient method, most cost effective long term, and allows you the comfort of knowing that you are always receiving your filters each time they are cleaned. The spare set is safely and securely stored offsite at our facility.
- Utilize our collection of community filters to be installed in your system every other cleaning cycle. Your original filters are never used in anyone else’s hood system, and will be stored safely and securely offsite at our facility.